Traditional Owner Acknowledgement
Central Highlands Water acknowledges the Traditional Owners / Peoples of the region we work in, including the Dja Dja Wurrung, Wadawurrung, Wurundjeri, Djab Wurrung, Wotjobaluk, Jaadwa, Jadawadjali, Wergaia and Jupagulk Peoples.
We pay our respect to the Elders of these communities past, present and emerging, acknowledging that they have been custodians of land and water for many centuries and that their continuing culture and contribution is important to the life of the region.
Our Water, Our Customers, Healthy Living
Together, we provide quality water and wastewater services, safely, efficiently and sustainably to communities in the Central Highlands Region.
Central Highlands Water (CHW) is a regional water corporation providing drinking water, sewerage, trade waste and recycled water services to customers throughout the Central Highlands Region of Victoria.
CHW services a large geographical region of 9,275 square kilometres and manages 15 distinct water supply systems and 13 wastewater systems in the local government areas of Ballarat, Central Goldfields, Golden Plains, Hepburn, Pyrenees, Northern Grampians, Moorabool and Corangamite. Central Highlands Water's head office is in Wendouree, Victoria with a customer service office in Maryborough.
We provide water supply and sewerage services through 69,565 water supply connections and 59,932 wastewater service connections to 146,568 people throughout the Central Highlands region. Throughout 2017/18, significant customer and community engagement occurred to enable CHW to gain a better understanding of our customers’ needs and expectations, and to assist in planning services for the future.
We manage over $1.125 Billion in assets, including:
Our Core Functions
- collect, store, treat, transfer and distribute water
- manage and protect the water supply system
- identify current and future water needs
- develop and implement programs for the conservation and efficient use of water
- educate the public about the water supply
- efficient collection, transfer, treatment and disposal of sewage
- identify current sewerage needs and plan for future needs
- develop and implement programs for the recycling and reuse of treated wastewater
- investigate, promote and conduct research into the provision of sewerage services
- partner with industrial and commercial customers and the community to provide environmentally friendly operating systems for the delivery, treatment and disposal of trade waste
Provide recycled water that supports us to:
- reduce demand on our water catchments
- help us save a significant amount of drinking water
- reduce the amount of wastewater discharged to regional waterways
- provide a safe, alternative water source for gardening, irrigation of public parks, golf courses, sporting ovals and recreational lakes
CHW performs these functions in an environmentally sound way, recognising the need to preserve landscape, fauna and flora.
At A Glance
Our Service Region
View Central Highlands Water Region in a larger map