• Enquiries and Faults 1800 061 514
  • Water Storages: 93.02%

History

1837

First white explorers to Ballarat district.

1851

21 September - first gold licences issued. October - first public agitation for a water supply.

1856

January - first municipal council meeting in Ballarat. Ballarat West Council established water sub-committee. First improved water supply, Wendouree swamp, pumps and tanks erected, water carts and road improved.

1857

Ballarat East Council formed, established water sub-committee. Occasional joint meetings of East and West Councils held.

1858

First water supply piped from the swamp, pipes laid from location where Wendouree Parade and Webster St meet (at rockery), to Sturt St, near Lydiard St. December – first piped water available.

1861

11 January - John Kirk sold his dam to the Government of Victoria, laying the foundation for the future Ballarat water supply system. Dean Reservoir is constructed and has a capacity of 104 megalitres.

1862

June - Ballarat and Ballarat East Water Supply Committee was constituted. Kirks Dam forms foundation of Ballarat's first permanent water supply and has a capacity of 400 megalitres.

1863

Beales Reservoir completed (capacity 90,000,000 gallons – 415 megalitres).

1866

Water Supply Committee composed of eight members.

1867

Ballarat and Ballarat East Water Supply Committee reconstituted, 10 members, five from each Council. Pincotts Reservoir completed (capacity 45,000,000 gallons – 218 megalitres).

1868

Talbot Reservoir constructed (capacity 846 megalitres) and forms part of the Maryborough water supply.

1872

Ballarat and Ballarat East Water Commissioners reconstituted.

1877

Gong Gong Reservoir completed (capacity 411,000,000 gallons – 1,902 megalitres).

1880

By Act of Parliament Ballarat Water Commissioners constituted comprising seven members, three appointed by government and two from each council (Chairman J Noble Wilson, Secretary and Treasurer JB Cathcart, Engineer CH Bagge).

1885

Ballarat Water Commissioners first permanent home constructed (corner Grenville and Lewis St). Contractor: Llewellyn and Edwards. Tender amount: £2,158. Evansford Reservoir completed (capacity 1,351 megalitres).

1891

Wilsons Reservoir completed (capacity 220,000,000 gallons).

1915

Moorabool Reservoir completed (capacity 1,478,000,000 gallons – 6,738 megalitres).

1920

Ballarat Sewerage Authority constituted. Chairman Hon F Brawn MLC, Engineer-in-Chief A Farrer, Secretary and Treasurer Col W Brazenor DSO.

1925

Sebastopol Sewage Treatment Works completed, first sewerage area declared and first properties connected.

1947

Water supply district extended to area of 65 square miles.

1952

White Swan Reservoir completed (capacity 3,274,000,000 gallons – 14,107 megalitres).

1962

Ballarat North Wastewater Treatment Plant brought into operation.
Total catchment area 24,182 acres – vested in Commissioners 6,849 acres. Population supplied 58,000. First stage of Wendouree Treatment Works completed.

1967

Water supplied to Smythesdale - Scarsdale Waterworks Trust.

1970

Construction of Bungal Dam commenced.

1972

Water supplied to Linton Waterworks Trust. Bungal Dam completed. Major extensions at Sebastopol treatment plant completed. Lal Lal Reservoir constructed, has a capacity of 59,549 megalitres and provides water for the cities of Ballarat and Geelong.

1973

Water supplied to Rokewood Waterworks Trust. Works to enable water to be obtained from Bungal Dam commenced. Miners Rest Waterworks Trust incorporated into the Ballarat Water Commissioners.

1974

28 October - HRH Prince of Wales visited White Swan Reservoir. Construction of Lal Lal Pump Station commenced.

1976

Ballarat Water Commissioners' staff assumed responsibility for the running of the West Moorabool Water Board. Ballarat North High Level Scheme completed. Major works completed at both sewage treatment plants.

1979

Lal Lal and Magpie areas included in water supply district.

1983

 

Public Bodies Review Committee recommends Ballarat Water Commissioners and Ballarat Sewerage Authority include other Trusts, namely: Buninyong Waterworks Trust, Bungaree-Wallace Waterworks Trust, Smythesdale - Scarsdale Waterworks Trust, Linton Waterworks Trust and Rokewood Waterworks Trust.

1983

Northern distribution main completed. Bungal water can now supply the whole northern area.

1984

Government directs Ballarat Water Board be formed and include the other five Trusts. Ballarat Water Board commences operations on 1 July 1984.

1990

Construction of the Nerrina Trunk Sewer to serve the backlog areas of Black Hill and Nerrina completed. Buninyong Sewerage Scheme completed.

1991

Skipton Water Board merges with Ballarat Water Board.

1992

Daylesford Water Board merges with Ballarat Water Board.

1993

Lexton Water Board merges with Ballarat Water Board.

1994

Ballarat Water Board changes name to Central Highlands Region Water Authority. Creswick and District and Learmonth Water Board incorporated into Central Highlands Region Water Authority. Maryborough Water Board merges with Central Highlands Region Water Authority.

1995

Beaufort Water Board and the West Moorabool Water Board merge with Central Highlands Region Water Authority.

1996

Development of Central Highlands Water’s first Customer Charter and launch of Waterwise Garden at Kirks Reservoir.

1997

Water reform package announced.

2004

Government releases white paper 'Securing Our Water Future Together'.

2004

The $4m Carisbrook Sewerage Scheme is completed.

2005

The $4.5m Skipton Sewerage Scheme is completed.

2006

October - Water and Environment Minister John Thwaites announces the Goldfields Superpipe – Ballarat Link to secure Ballarat's water supply for the next 50 years.

2006

December - Ballarat registered lowest annual rainfall on record since 1882.

2007

Groundwater from the Cardigan Aquifer supplements the Ballarat & District water supply system, providing up to an additional 3,000 million litres of water a year.

2007

Name changed to Central Highlands Region Water Corporation.

2008

19 May 2008 - Goldfields Superpipe – Ballarat Link officially opens six weeks ahead of schedule. Superpipe switched on at Ballarat's White Swan Reservoir by Victorian Premier John Brumby and Water Minister Tim Holding.

2009

Mini-hydro electricity generator commissioned to harness energy from the Goldfields Superpipe at White Swan Reservoir.

2010

Record rainfalls and flooding across the district.

2011

The Central Highlands region receives above average rainfall resulting in most reservoirs reaching capacity for the first time in 15 years.

2012

Central Highlands Water celebrates 150 years (1862-2012).

2015

Moorabool Reservoir 100 year anniversary celebrated.

2016

Record rainfalls and flooding across Ballarat and surrounding towns. Maryborough Water Treatment Plant upgrade for residents of Maryborough. Lal Lal Mini Hydro Electric Generator installed at Lal Lal Reservoir. Beales Reservoir Dam safety upgrade to reduce the dam safety risk. Key initiative – Environmental Focus at Central Highlands Water.